147th Inf BN

147thCmdrsNCSMs-663x1024

147th Infantry

(First Ohio)

 

Organized 19 April 1854 in the Ohio Militia at Cincinnati as the Guthrie Greys

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 10 January 1859 as the Guthrie Greys Battalion

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 27 April 1861 as the 6th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Mustered into Federal service 12 May 1861 for three months; reorganized and mustered into Federal service 18 June 1861 at Camp Dennison, Ohio; mustered out of Federal service 23 June 1864 at Camp Dennison, Ohio

Reorganized 1870-1877 as independent companies in and around Cincinnati

Companies consolidated in 1877 and reorganized in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st Infantry Regiment

Mustered into Federal service 7 May 1898 at Camp Bushnell, Ohio, as the 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 25 October 1898 at Cincinnati

Disbanded 14 April 1899

Reorganized 6 November 1899 in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st and 2d Separate Infantry Battalions

1st and 2d Separate Infantry Battalions consolidated 22 January 1902 to form the 1st Regiment of Infantry

Disbanded 7 February 1913

Reorganized 22 April 1914 in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st Infantry Regiment

            Drafted into Federal service 15 August 1917

Consolidated 25 October 1917 with the 6th Infantry Regiment, Ohio National Guard; consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 147th Infantry an element of the 37th Division

Demobilized 19 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio

Elements of the former 1st Infantry Regiment consolidated with elements of the former 3d Infantry Regiment (see ANNEX 1) and consolidated unit reorganized 1919-1920 in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st Infantry; Headquarters Federally recognized 11 March 1921 at Cincinnati

Re-designated 1 July 1921 as the 147th Infantry an element of the 37th Division (later redesignated as the 37th Infantry Division)

Inducted into Federal service 15 October 1940 at home stations

Relieved 31 July 1943 from assignment to the 37th Infantry Division

Inactivated 15-25 December 1945 at Vancouver Barracks, Washington

Assigned 10 June 1946 to the 37th Infantry Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 17 December 1946 with Headquarters at Cincinnati

Ordered into active Federal service 15 January 1952 at home stations

(147th Infantry [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 15 January 1954 with Headquarters at Cincinnati)

Released 15 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 147th Infantry (NGUS)

Reorganized 1 September 1959 as a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Battle Group, an element of the 37th Infantry Division

Reorganized 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 37th Infantry Division, and the 2d Battalion

Reorganized 15 February 1968 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 38th Infantry Division

Reorganized 1 March 1977 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 73d Infantry Brigade (later redesignated as the 37th Infantry Brigade)

Withdrawn 1 May 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System

Reorganized 1 September 1993 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division

Converted and redesignated 1 January 1994 as the 147th Armor to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division

Reorganized 1 September 1994 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 38th Infantry Division

Consolidated 1 July 2005 with the 174th Air Defense Artillery Regiment; consolidated unit designated as the 174th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions

 

ANNEX 1

 

5th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, organized 8 May 1861 from companies in southwestern Ohio and mustered into Federal service for three years; reorganized and mustered into Federal service 20 June 1861

Reorganized and redesignated in 1864 as the 5th Battalion, Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Mustered out of Federal service 26 July 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky

Reorganized 1870-1877 as independent companies in southwestern Ohio

(Companies assigned in 1877 to the 4th Infantry Regiment; in 1884 to the 7th Infantry Regiment; and in 1887 to the 13th Infantry Regiment)

Existing companies in southwestern Ohio consolidated 22 January 1891 with newly organized companies in the same area to form the 3d Infantry Regiment

Mustered into Federal service 10 May 1898 at Camp Bushnell, Ohio, as the 3d Ohio Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 26 October 1898 at Columbus

Disbanded 14 April 1899

Reorganized 6 November 1899 in the Ohio National Guard as the 3d Infantry Regiment with Headquarters at Dayton

Mustered into Federal service 14 July 1916 at Camp Willis, Ohio

Drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

Reorganized and redesignated 15 September 1917 as the 148th Infantry and assigned to the 37th Division

Demobilized 21 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio

 CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

Civil War

Shiloh

Murfreesborough Chancellorsville Gettysburg Chickamauga Chattanooga Atlanta Virginia 1861 Kentucky 1862 Mississippi 1862

World War I

Ypres-Lys

Meuse-Argonne

Lorraine 1918

World War II – AP

Air Offensive, Japan

Guadalcanal

Northern Solomons

 

DECORATIONS

 

None