History

The 37th Infantry Division served with distinction in WWI, WWII and Korea. During WWII, seven members of the division earned the Congressional Medal of Honor, the highest decoration awarded. Current units of the Ohio Army National Guard can tie their history to the 37th Division. In September 2007, the 37th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (37th IBCT) began wearing the 37th Infantry Division’s “bull’s eye” insignia and now carries its lineage and colors, which returned some historic designation to the current force structure. The brigade honorably served in Kuwait and Iraq in 2008 and completed a deployment in Bahrain and Afghanistan in 2012.

Some heritage units of the 37th Division, such as the 112th Engineers, can further trace their history back to the civil war era to events at Bull Run, Shiloh and Murfrees Borough. In 1865, as the Cleveland Grays, one unit was singled out to perform honor guard duties during the funeral procession and ceremonies for President Lincoln. They also acted as escort for President Hayes and General Garfield.

Legacy units of the 37th Division continue to execute the traditions set forth by the 37th Division in the Global War on Terror (GWOT).